The JL Audio Fix86 is a digital signal processor designed to give world-class sound from a factory audio system without replacing the OEM radio. Its 24-bit DSP processor can combine 2-, 3-, and 4-way factory outputs, while automatically level matching into a flat, full-range stereo signal to be passed on to an aftermarket amplifier. The Fix86 will automatically correct factory time delayed outputs before summing the signals and equalizing them with dual, 30 band, 1/3 octave equalizers. Its differential-balanced inputs accept virtually any OEM analog audio signal, from low-voltage line-level to high-power, speaker-level outputs (up to 30V RMS). The Fix86 offers three sets of Left/Right RCA outputs; Front, Rear, and non-fading Subwoofer.
Calibration: Basic calibration of the Fix86 is done using the Calibration button on the top panel of the processor. If the button is pressed for 5 seconds, the unit will start the calibration process which takes approximately 30 seconds. The button also serves as an EQ Bypass if pressed for 1 second. By connecting the processor to a PC (via USB) and running the included TuN 2.0 software, you can also access a complete suite of diagnostic panels that will show the frequency response of the input signals, as well as the corrected outputs. This also allows you to adjust the input polarity, muting, and filtering as well as initiating a new calibration. The output can be user-adjusted with a pair of 10-band graphic equalizers.
Note: Some factory audio amplifiers employ a load detection circuit that looks for a low-impedance load (a speaker load) in order to enable audio output. When a high-impedance load like the input section of the Fix86 is connected to these factory amplifiers, the audio output can be muted. After installing the Fix86 and turning on the audio system, if there is no output from the factory amplifier, a FiXLSA-4 Load-Sensing Adaptor (sold separately) will need to be inserted inline with the Fix86's inputs. The FiXLSA-4 presents a safe and appropriate load to the factory amplifier and corrects the muting behavior.
Turn-On Mode: The Fix86 offers three ways of activation via the top panel Turn-On Mode switch: Signal, DC Offset, and Remote.
- Remote: When the Switched +12 VDC terminal gets 12 volts, the processor powers on.
- DC Offset: Automatically turns on/off by detecting a small DC signal on the OEM speaker outputs.
- Signal: Automatically turns on/off by detecting full-range audio signals on the OEM speaker outputs.
- Input: Factory audio signals are run into the Fix86 through four 4-pin Euroblock connectors for a total of 8 available input channels. Each terminal can accept up to 16 AWG wire. Along with the audio inputs, the processor includes a USB (Type-B, 2.0) port to connect to a PC for running the TuN software as well as doing firmware updates.
- Outputs: The processor has 3 pairs of unbalanced RCA output connections, 2 Front and 2 Rear (allowing retention of the OEM fader control) as well as 2 non-fading Subwoofer jacks. Each channel outputs a 4 V RMS signal.
- Power/Ground Connector: A 5-pin Euroblock connector provides the inputs for +12 VDC Battery, +12 VDC Switched (remote input if Turn-on Mode switch is set to Remote), Ground, Remote Out (provides a +12 V remote signal to trigger aftermarket amplifiers), and a Valet In. This is provided to attenuate the overall output level by 15 dB if the Fix86 sees a ground on this terminal. This keeps other people from possibly damaging the speakers by turning the volume up too high while the vehicle is being serviced or valet-parked.
- JLID Port: The Fix86 has an RJ-45 port for use with JL Audio's optional DRC-100 or DRC-205 Remote Controllers (sold separately).
DRC-100/205 Remote Controllers: These are under-dash mounted rotary controls that can be used for quick function adjustment from the driver's seat with options as follows:
- DRC-100: Can add either Master Volume Control or Handsfree Optimization, both with LED Status Reporting.
- DRC-205: Can add either Master Volume Control, Handsfree Optimization, or Subwoofer Level Control, all with LED Status Reporting.
- Master Volume Control: When used as a Master Volume Control, the OEM headunit's volume gets left at the same level it was at during calibration, and the DRC-100 becomes the main volume control. This maintains a linear frequency response and the best signal-to-noise ratio at all volume levels.
- Hands-free Optimization: In this mode, the DRC-100 is used to optimize the clarity of the factory Bluetooth hands-free system. By pressing the rotary knob, this disables the processor's time correction and applies a 100 Hz high-pass filter to the output, making Bluetooth phone calls clearer to understand.
- Subwoofer Level Control (DRC-205 only): When used as a Subwoofer Level Control, the rotary dial works as an attenuator for the Subwoofer output channels. Rotated fully clockwise allows the signal level to be the same as if the controller wasn't being used. Counter-clockwise rotation attenuates the Subwoofer output signal.
- Status LED: The DRC-100's multi-colored LED will show the Fix82's overall status:
- Constant green: Normal operation
- Slow flashing green: Valet mode is active.
- Constant amber: Hands-free mode is activated.
- Flashing or constant red: The input signal is clipping (lower volume control on OEM head unit)
- Input Status:
- Green: Signal present.
- Amber: Power on, no signal.
- Momentary Red: The input signal is clipping.
- Flashing Amber: No calibration.
- Amber: Ready for calibration signal.
- Flashing Green: Calibration in progress.
- Green: Calibration successful.
- Flashing Red: Calibration failure.
- Alternating Green/Amber: EQ has been bypassed.
- Power Supply Type: Regulated DC-DC SMPS
- Input Operating Voltage: 10 - 16 VDC
- Standby Current Draw: < 1.5 mA
- Operating Current Draw: 0.7 A
- Recommended Fuse Value: 1 A
- Input Channels: 8
- Input Type: Differential-Balanced
- Input Voltage Range: 250 mV - 30 V RMS
- Minimum Input Voltage: 10 mV RMS
- Input Level Setting: Fully automatic
- Output Channels: 6 (Front/Rear/Sub output pairs)
- Analog Output: Unbalanced, stereo RCA jacks
- Digital Output: Optical (Toslink) output (S/PDIF)
- Output Impedance: 450 Ω
- S/N Ratio: 96 dB (A-weighted, referred to 4V RMS output)
- THD+N @ Rated Output: 0.02% (20 - 20 kHz)
- Processing Audio Resolution: 24 bit/ 48 kHz
- EQ Bands for Processing: 30 x 2 channels
- EQ Resolution: 1/3 octave (25 Hz - 20 kHz)
- Remote Level Control: Optional DRC-100 or DRC-205
- Remote Level Functions: Master Volume, Handsfree Optimization, Subwoofer Level (DRC-205), and LED status reporting
- Dimensions: Width = 4.35", Height = 1.88", Depth = 6.15"
Clearance Item Warranty
All items sold as a clearance special have a 90-day warranty only. Items can be exchanged or a full credit can be issued only if the item is not as described or pictured. No refunds on clearance items. Clearance items are not guaranteed to fit your specific bike. As our regular products are, most items in the clearance section have not been vetted for make and model fitment. Speakers are warranted against defects but are not warranted against burned voice coils. If you overpower your speakers or fail to set them up properly, your warranty will be void. We have taken the time to carefully inspect, document, and disclose the condition of all clearance items for you. All items that are open boxes or are used will be disclosed in the product description. Please be sure to understand what you are buying before making your purchase. If you have any questions or need more details about any clearance item, please give us a call. 1(888)311-0016